About The Goaltender Home Page
THE AUTHOR: Dr. Doug Norris
grew up in Port Orchard, Washington. He developed his love for hockey
while earning a bachelor of science at
Western Washington University in
Bellingham, WA. He completed his doctorate in mathematics at the
University of Colorado at Boulder,
graduating in 2002. After a short career as a mathematics professor,
he is currently working in the actuarial field in Denver, Colorado.
THE PAGE: The Goaltender Home Page began in the spring of 1994 as
a fan site for then-Vancouver netminder Kirk
McLean, who would lead the Canucks to the Stanley Cup Final later in
the year. In short order, the page became a storage area for biographies
of the top National Hockey League goaltenders, and before long, I had
several hundred biographies on the Page. The Page followed me to Colorado
in 1995, where it remainded until September of 2003, when it was moved
to its present location. Although I do solicit corrections and submissions,
I'm still the sole curator of the site, and am responsible for all upkeep
The primary intention of the site (at the moment) is collect any and all
interesting historical and statistical information on goaltenders today. Some might call
much of it trivia, even.
While at Colorado, Doug played goal from 2000 through 2002, and was an
assistant coach for the university women's team from 1998 through 2003, and the men's
team from 2002 through 2003, also working with the Boulder Valley Hockey
Association, Hyland Hills Hockey Association, and various private tutoring.
MY PHILOSOPHY: Those of you who have poked around the page probably
notice one thing - it's not too fancy. That's intentional - when I go to
a website, it's usually because I want to find out something about a subject
of interest - bells and whistles are nice, but when they distract from what
I'm trying to find, it's annoying. So...my goals are as follows here at the
Page: when you come here, you should be able to find what you're looking for
quickly, and be able to rely on the information as fact. That's it.
Liam Maguire, Loren Woo, Khan Klatt, Stu McMurray, Eric Hornick, Tom Awad, Ralph Slate,
M. Scott Ramming, Mike Taylor, Ken Krzywicki, Morey Holzman, Iain Fyffe,
Alan Ryder, Joe Pelletier, Patrick Houda, Rick Cole, Marc Foster, Thomas Wharry, David Zetterman,
Alexandra Ackerman, Martin Schmid, Jayzin Smith, Lisa Pasquale, Mark Calandra, Gianpaolo, Buffaloes, Irish Blues, and statistics from HFBoards,
everyone at the Hockey History
mailing list and the Hockey Analytics Group, and everyone who plays trivia each and every week -
for keeping me on my toes, corrections to the page and entertaining me.
Also, thank you to the goaltenders, without whom this page would not be possible or necessary.
Pre-1982 NHL save percentage information comes from a second-hand Excel workbook done by Roger Brewer, using
data from the Hockey Summary Project (a tremendous endeavor by both).
(I'm still adding to
this list as I remember! There's a lot of you!)
When possible, I've linked these listings to their location at
a Seattle-area bookstore which I've always had success in ordering from. If you order any of these books,
I'll receive 15%, so if you're thinking of purchasing them, why not help me out?
For what it's worth, this is the only source of revenue I receive from this page
(not that I'm complaining - I wouldn't run this page as anything other than
Also, I'm still adding to this list as I have time - as you can see, it's a big list
- Francois Allaire: "Hockey Goaltending for Young Players - An Instructional Guide"
- Kevin Allen, Bob Duff: "Without Fear"
- Richard Bak: "Detroit Red Wings: The Illustrated History"
- Hal Bock: "Save! Hockey's Brave Goalies"
- Denis Brodeur and Daniel Daignault: "Goalies: Guardians of the Net"
- Jim Corsi and John Hannon: "The Hockey Goalie's Handbook"
- Brian Daccord: "Hockey Goaltending"
- The Denver Post and The Sporting News: "Mission 16W - The Colorado Avalanche: 2000-01 Stanley Cup Champions"
- Ken Dryden: "The Game"
- Ken Dryden and Roy MacGregor: "Home Game"
- David Dupuis: "Sawchuk"
- Stan Fischler: "Goalies: Legends from the NHL's Toughest Job"
- Stan Fischler: "Hockey's Great Rivalries"
- Stan Fischler: "Hockey Stars Speak"
- Stan and Shirley Fischler: "Breakaway '87-'88"
- Stan and Shirley Fischler: "Great Book of Hockey: More Than 100 Years of Fire on Ice"
- Stan Fischler with Chico Resch: "Hot Goalies"
- Randy Gregg: "Hockey: The Technical, The Physical, and The Mental Game"
- Jay Greenberg: "Full Spectrum"
- Jim Hunt: "The Men in the Net: Hockey's Tortured Heroes"
- Douglas Hunter: "A Breed Apart: An Illustrated History of Goaltending"
- Dick Irvin: "In the Crease"
- Jeff Z. Klein and Karl-Eric Reif: "The Klein and Reif Hockey Compendium" (first edition, second edition)
- Mitch Korn: "Goaltender Manual 1999"
- Vic LeMire: "Goaltender Are Not Targets"
- Vic LeMire: "Off the Post - Advanced Goaltending Techniques & Strategies"
- Mike Leonetti: "Hockey's Golden Era - Stars of the Original Six"
- Liam Maguire: "Liam Maguire's Hockey Trivia Book 1"
- Liam Maguire: "What's the Score?"
- Brian McFarlane: "Stanley Cup Fever"
- Gary Miles: "Inside Hockey"
- Bernie Parent with Bill Fleschman and Sonny Schwartz: "Bernie!"
- Joe Pelletier and Patrick Houda: "The World Cup of Hockey - A History of Hockey's Greatest Tournament"
- Jacques Plante: "On Goaltending"
- George Plimpton: "Open Net"
- Andrew Podnieks: "Shooting Stars"
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Mario Lemieux: Best There Ever Was"
- Sherry Ross: "Hockey Scouting Report" (1993-94, 1996-97, 2002)
- Sean Rossiter: "Hockey the NHL Way: Goaltending"
- Sean Rossiter: "Vancouver Canucks: The Silver Edition"
- Dean Schabner: "Jaromir Jagr"
- Murray Townsend: "1996-1997 Hockey Annual"
- Don Weekes: "Puck-Stoppin' Trivia"
- Glenn Weir, Jeff Chapman, Travis Weir: "Ultimate Hockey"
- Ian Young and Chris Gudgeon: "Behind the Mask"
- Ian Young and Chris Gudgeon: "Beyond the Mask"
- Ian Young and Terry Walker: "Lords of the Rink"
- "A Day in the Life of the National Hockey League"
- "College Hockey Guide (Men's)" (1998, 1999)
- "College Hockey Guide (Women's)" (1999)
- "Inside Sports Hockey 1997"
- "Mario Lemieux - The Final Period"
- "The National Hockey League Official Guide & Record Book" (1988-89, 1996-97, 1997-98, 2001)
- "The National Hockey League Official Record Book" (1983-84)
- "National Hockey League Official Rulebook" (1998-99)
- "National Hockey League Official Sourcebook" (1987-88)
- "1995-96 Hockey Almanac"
- "The Official National Hockey League 75th Anniversary Commemorative Book"
- "The Official National Hockey League Stanley Cup Centennial Book"
- "Professional Sports Team Histories, Volume 4 (Hockey)"
- "The Sporting News Complete Hockey Book" (1992-93, 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96)
- "The Sporting News Hockey Guide" (1982-83, 1983-84, 1984-85, 1985-86, 1986-87, 1987-88, 1988-89, 1989-90, 1998-99, 2000-01)
- "The Sporting News Hockey Register" (1972-73, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1977-78, 1979-80, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1985-86, 1987-88, 1988-89, 1989-90, 1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2002-03)
- "The Sporting News Pro and Amateur Hockey Guide" (1976-77)
- "Stats Inc. Hockey Handbook" (1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-01, 2001-02)
- "Total Hockey" (first edition, second edition)
- "20th Century Hockey Chronicle" (1999)
- The Hockey News (10/13/2000, 5/31/2002 and various others)